Development of the technology of “Fitoryn-plus” nasal gel for treating allergic rhinitis
Keywords:technology, nasal gel, allergic rhinitis
AbstractThere are some available synthetic drugs of the foreign origin among symptomatic nasal medicines at the current pharmaceutical market. Most of them are produced in the form of drops or sprays, and it causes short duration of action of these drugs. Nowadays nasal gels attract great attention to the treatment of allergic rhinitis. The aim of the work is to develop a new nasal medicine based on biologically active plant substances in the gel form under the conditional name “Fitoryn-plus”. A dry extract of licorice root and essential oils of eucalyptus and Siberian pine were used as active ingredients of this nasal gel. In order to choose a structure-forming component of the gel base 9 model samples of gel systems were prepared, and the possibility of using carbomer (carbopol) 934, hydroxyethyl cellulose and sodium alginate was investigated. To neutralize aqueous dispersions of carbopol the ammonia solution, the solution of sodium hydroxide and triethanolamine were used. The gel was prepared at the room temperature using two variants of technology: by mixing the finished gel and solutions of active substances previously prepared (technology 1) and by introducing active substances into the dispersion medium before the gel thickening (technology 2). Based on the complex of organoleptic, physical and chemical, structural and mechanical studies conducted a gelling agent, a neutralizing agent, a hydrophilic nonaqueous solvent and their optimal concentrations in the drug composition have been chosen. It has been shown that thermal effects of the samples of the active substances, the gel base and “Fitoryn-plus” gel are similar in nature; it may be subjectively indicative of the absence of chemical interaction between the components of the drug and validate the technology developed.
1. Державна фармакопея України / Держ. п-во «Науково-експертний фармакопейний центр». – 1 вид., 2 допов. – Х. : РІРЕГ, 2008. – 620 с.
Компендиум 2012 – лекарственные препараты / под ред. В. Н. Коваленко. – К. : Морион, 2012. – http://compendium.com.ua.
Косаковский А. Л., Гавриленко Ю. В. // Український медичний часопис. – 2013. – № 6(98). – С. 23-27.
Angiera E., Willingtonb J., Scaddingc G. et al. // Primary Care Respiratory Journal. – 2010. – Vol. 19, No. 3. – P. 217-222.
Chowdhury M. A., Golam Rabbani S. M., Yasmeen N., Malakar M.// Bangladesh Journal of Otorhinolaryngology. – 2010. – Vol. 16, No. 1. – P. 44-47.
Demoly P., Calderon M., Casale T. et al. // Clinical and Translational Allergy. – 2013. – Vol. 3, No.
– P. 84-92. 7. Kennedy J. // Self Care. – 2011. – Vol. 2, No. 2. – P. 55-59.
Shah A., Pawankar R.// Asian pacific journal of allergy and immunology. – 2009. – Vol. 27, No. 1. – P. 71-77.
Small P., Kim H.// Allergy, Asthma & Clinical Immunology. – 2011. – Vol. 7, No. 1. – P. 125-133.
Williams D. C., Edney G., Maiden B. // World Allergy Organization Journal. – 2013. – Vol. 6, No. 4. – P. 331-337.
Copyright (c) 2015 National University of Pharmacy
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).